When it comes to purchasing a new mattress, you want to ensure you pick something that will meet all your needs and leave you refreshed every morning. A mattress should be comfortable, supportive, and with you for years to come — like a good friend. Because you expect so much from a mattress, it can be hard to know where to begin when buying a new bed.
If you are on the hunt for a new mattress, we hope you will stop by our local mattress store in La Crosse. We will help you find the mattress that is right for your specific needs. Before you visit, check out these four things to consider when you are purchasing a new mattress.
#1: Figure Out The Size You Need
The first thing you will want to do is determine the size of mattress you will need. Choosing the right size will go a long way in ensuring you are comfortable with your mattress for years to come.
The following are common mattress sizes you can pick from and what uses they best serve:
- Twin / Single: A twin or single is approximately 38 inches wide by 75 inches long. This size of bed is perfect for a young child or a small adult. For taller adolescents and adults, a traditional twin might not offer enough length to sleep comfortably. Single mattresses are best used in children’s rooms.
- Twin / Single Extra Long: A touch longer than a traditional twin, an extra long twin is approximately 38 inches wide by 80 inches long. This makes it a good choice for a taller adolescent.
- Double / Full: From twin to full size, you will notice a great difference in the width of the bed. A traditional full size mattress is 54 inches by 75 inches. The added width makes a full size mattress perfect for an adult who wants extra space but still sleeps alone.
- Queen: A queen size mattress measures in at 60 inches by 80 inches, making it an ideal fit for a taller adult who wants more space or an adult who shares their bed. This is not only a perfect upgrade if you plan to have another person in your bed with you, it is great for pet owners who have their furry pals in the bed with them.
- King: When you want to upgrade to a much roomier bed, perfect for two adults and a few furry friends, a king size is the way to go. A traditional king will be the widest bed, measuring in at 76 inches by 80 inches.
- California King: For taller adults who are fine with sacrificing a little bit of width for height, a California king is ideal. This bed is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long, making it comfortable for even the tallest of adults.
#2: Determine If You Need Soft Or Firm
After you figure out what size mattress will best meet your needs, it is time to start thinking about how soft or firm you want your mattress. Everyone has their own preference in this regard and you can even check with your doctor or chiropractor for your own specific back needs.
Generally speaking, a firm mattress is ideal for those who have very little back pain and sleep on their back or stomach. A firm mattress will provide excellent support and will help to evenly distribute your weight as you sleep, leading to better breathing and less strain on any one part of your body.
Conversely, a soft mattress is often recommended for those with specific back issues and those who are extremely light. A soft mattress is also best for people who sleep on their sides. The drawbacks to a soft mattress is that it can cause back issues in those who weigh more or sleep on their backs, as it does not provide ideal support.
#3: Decide On The Extras
Next, you will want to determine if there are any extras you are looking for from your mattress. Do you want a split king that is adjustable for each person in the bed? Do you want a certain style of mattress? Think about any extras you are hoping for from your bed.
#4: Come Up With A Reasonable Budget
Finally, before you stop into our local mattress store in La Crosse, come up with a reasonable budget for your purchase. We have a variety of brands and styles to choose from, with a price that will match anyone’s needs. We will be happy to work with you to find the right fit for your price range. Stop by today for help picking out the perfect mattress replacement for your needs.